Saturday, November 15, 2008


What is faith?


Is it earned? Is it conditional?

When I tell people I have faith in them, it’s because I believe they can do something they haven’t already done. If they’ve already done it, then it ceases to become faith and just becomes knowledge. The Bible says “…faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). How sad would it be not to have hope for things not seen? Where does purpose and meaning come from if not the pursuit of something we believe in that is greater than ourselves.

What does it feel like when people don’t have faith or believe in you? When someone shows a lack of faith in me it kills my spirit. I get discouraged. I lose focus of what’s important and anything accomplished is merely an effort to prove myself or to prove someone else wrong. That’s what happens to me but others have more tragic responses. They believe they are not worthy of someone’s faith and they walk through life without ever reaching their full potential or any potential at all. They are paralyzed. Or worse yet…have you ever heard the saying “misery loves company?” Some may put their efforts into spreading hopelessness, anger, hate, and bitterness. A lack of faith breeds these states of being.

Now let’s look at the other side. How amazing does it feel when someone has faith in you? How strong does it make you feel? When someone believes in me, I feel like I can do anything! I feel inspired! I feel like I have the power to accomplish great things! I feel important! I feel loved! I feel like I can change the world! Having faith changes the world! There is power in it! Amazing things can happen wherever there is faith! Faith can move mountains, calm raging seas, and produce miracles beyond our wildest dreams. I want people to have faith in me. Who doesn’t? God wants the same.

What would you rather hear…I believe in you or prove yourself to me? We have turned relationships, friendships and our faith into an audition. Prove you are worthy of my love? Prove you are worthy of my friendship? Prove you are worthy of my faith? I don’t think this is how it’s supposed to be.


True faith doesn’t require proof. It is a gift from God that assures us that something perfect and beautiful awaits us. I guess I just don’t understand why people are so reluctant to put their faith in someone or God. Is it because there are risks involved? Yes, you may get your heart broken. Yes, you may fail. Yes, you may be wrong. Lord knows I have experienced all of these things numerous times but I wouldn’t trade any of these experiences for a lifetime of doubt, emptiness and hopelessness. What more could come from a life without faith?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home